Sunday, May 04, 2008

My supposed last day in Socal

My morning before leaving for home starts out with having breakfast with my friends before heading to the airport. Breakfast was near Newport Beach (man I think I know that area just as well as the Santa Ana & Anaheim area!) at an omelette parlor. It was really good, especially the english muffin with apple butter spread. Then I get taken to the airport, not really wanting to leave but also knowing it's time to go. I have lots of stuff to do before heading back to Galveston! So I check in and find out my flight is delayed by an hour (it wasn't when I checked before breakfast). Sucks but it's ok because I have a 2 hour or so layover in Denver anyway. I go to the sports bar there to watch the Boston/Atlanta game. Then of course, I have to go to the bathroom. During that time, I hear some announcement about my flight. I go check and it's delayed another hour! ahhh...I go to the ticket counter to see what I can do about my connecting flight. I'm waiting in line, getting a bit impatient. Finally I get up to the counter. She searches for later flights from Denver to Houston. One flight leaving out of Denver at 7:30 that is already overbooked. Awesome, not going to risk standby with that one. She then searches all the other airlines. I'm starting to feel like I'm running in the Amazing Race! She calls Continental, one flight left leaving in like 15 minutes, but that flight was full. So no more flights to Houston. After searching with no luck as to find a flight to Houston from Orange, my options are to stay in heref or the night and take a flight out in the morning or fly to Denver and see if I can make it on the connecting flight (the delayed flight is now to land at 4:30 in Denver and my flight out of Denver was at 4:50). In the end I opted to stay in Orange because I didn't want to deal with missing my connecting flight and staying at the hotel, plus the next United flight to Houston didn't get me there til after 4:00 pm.

My new flight now is on Continental, direct flight (YAY!) to Houston at 8:15 am landing at 1:26. Yes I did ask for compensation and got $100 voucher on United (better than nothing) and added mileage onto Continental.

Get this, I'm me and I do this to myself. I check United to see what time the flight left and lands in Denver. Of course the flight didn't leave on time and suppose to land at 4:40. For sure I would have missed my connecting flight. I go a step further, I check the departing time of my connecting flight. ahhhh...uhgggg, oh my gosh! That flight was delayed by an hour!!! Which means I could have made my flight in Denver. When I was trying to find flights, that flight was on time too! Story of my life. Don't get me wrong, I love it here in California and didn't really want to leave. But while at the airport, I got in the mentality of going back and made a list of all these things I needed (which is not a short list either) to do!

yeah, I'm pretty ready to go home. Didn't think I would say that now did ya!?!?!

No comments: