Thursday, May 08, 2008

Mentor Day

Tomorrow is going to be an exciting day! No classes (awesome), just the Class of 2009 mentor coming in to hang out (for lack of better word) with us. Mentor Day has been our OT dept. tradition dating back to way way back when. On the OT office floor, there are pictures of all the mentors that have come through in the past. Man, they have had some famous OTs as mentors before! I'm excited to meet Jean tomorrow. I don't know why, I just am. We get breakfast and lunch catered, I'm really excited about that one too! In the morning we'll get to know her/she gets to know us, ask questions, have discussion, etc. Then she'll give a presentation/lecture later. After that we'll get "pinned!" Our class will start the new tradition of getting "pinned" to symbolize us being ready to go out into the real world. I guess you can compare it to sort of being like the white coat ceremony that med students have. Faculty will pin us with our OT pins (that our class designed, which will also be used from now on!) and there will probably be the UTMB pledge. To me it's only significant because faculty believes that we are ready to get thrown to the wolves! It's good to know that they think that we are just about ready to be clinicians. There are times when I am ready to get out there now and start, but so many other times I don't feel confident in my abilities, that I don't know enough to care for a patient. In time with more experience, I'm sure that will change, I hope! Oh yeah, we'll get Mario's for lunch...yum!

Wow, I think I just wrote a bunch of run on sentences that probably don't make any sense. Oh well. Thank goodness tomorrow is Friday. This week has just been an intense mess for me, and I only had classes for 2 days.

No comments: